Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maps you can max, vs maps you can't.
So there's this interesting set of opinions.

Some people prefer the map to be 'unmaxable' - kinda like the Mirror Image map. -As you could never really say "I've Maxed this map". (Or ultra-complex - depending)

But some people prefer maps that are difficult, but have a clear max. Like most complex maps, despite their complexity you can get to a point where you can feel that it's maxed. (And the occasional upsets are stinkin' awesome)

Do you find the concept of unmaxable maps frustrating?
What if the unmaxable map lasted only a day?

Is balance the key? Is never better?

Where do you stand? Do you know what you prefer?
- Snap
well every map is maxable, you just gotta figure out how. and gotta have really much time for some...
as we have seen, ultra complex was maxed out pretty fast sometimes. the last for example, took about an hour.
the good thing about hard maxable maps is, that they´re not "over" that fast. so its more mazing, more fun ^^
having them on for just one day may result for some not to be even closely maxed out. that´s never a good thing...
the "complex" maps are too easy. i almost never have to do any manual work for them...
SNAAAAAAP, do stuff! I broke it again...
@TheCurse: What is so wrong with maps that aren't maxed out due to little time? I don't see the problem with that. It makes people strive to be better and it rewards better players (or players with assist programs *cough cough*.)
Looks like I better make a good post on AI's/Assisters in the near future. (Cliff-notes; they're not imbalanced).

But I agree with Jimp, I don't really see the problem with a map never getting maxed. - In fact, that's kinda what this topic is about.
What if maps were consistently left in ponder of "Was that max?". My opinion? I like the balance. Having some maps I feel I solved, and some maps I feel no one solved.
I like that a map ends in a day, so even if I did horribly, at least it's over, and we're moving on to a new map.
The weekly map is nice, as I can fiddle with it a little bit during the week. (But I think the map should require an achievement to view).
- Snap
i dunno, just can't stand unfinished stuff... and a map thats not finished in time doesn't feel finished.
its like an achievement you don't get, would you just say "well k, i´ll get another one"?
SNAAAAAAP, do stuff! I broke it again...
I prefer maps that don't look like they have an obvious max, but perhaps for the wrong reason. Maps with a low-ish max are much more likely to have radically different solutions with extremely close scores, and then it's a competition to try random things. Maps with high maxes tend to be more about optimization than randomizing structures until you find the right one.
(03-02-2013, 11:13 AM)Jimp Wrote: @TheCurse: What is so wrong with maps that aren't maxed out due to little time? I don't see the problem with that. It makes people strive to be better and it rewards better players (or players with assist programs *cough cough*.)

Who uses assist programs? Now that the cat is out of the bag, I've spent a little bit of time working on an AI for the game. It's currently much worse than me at the game. But it's somewhat reasonable already and I haven't spent too much effort making it better Smile

On topic: I like maps that "can't be maxed". Even though vzl and BlueRaja never fail to beat me...
TheCurse and Blue both use assisters, though apparently Blue's is far more advanced. Pathery may be NP-hard, but most of the problems are quite small, in computer terms - it seems reasonable to use an AI, though as I've said before, AIs are fundamentally different players.
Discuss AI: http://pforums.unbridled.eu/showthread.php?tid=12

~Back to topic. - It's hard to say because we haven't had many 'unmaxable' maps played with all of Pathery.com...
I don't want to depress players - but, perhaps that ship has already sailed lol.
- Snap